Integrative Oncology – Working with your Team to Optimize Care
With up to 87% of cancer patients are choosing to combine standard cancer treatment, like chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery, with integrative therapies. These include special diets, herbal and vitamin supplements, acupuncture, massage, meditation, exercise, and other lifestyle practices.
Providers practicing integrative oncology note positive patient outcomes based on the fusion of evidence-based recommendations and long-standing traditional use. New research is published daily on the safety, benefits, and cautions of combining integrative therapies with conventional care.
The challenge, and mandate, for integrative oncology providers is to deliver the best care for patients in a manner that is multidisciplinary, is scientifically sound, honors patient choice, addresses the health of the whole person, and achieves the best prognosis and quality of life for patients.
Dr. Niesley, ND, MS, FABNO
Dr. Niesley’s experience in internal medicine and oncology, as well as in clinical research design and execution, allows her to easily understand and integrate into the current evidence-based model of modern conventional medicine.
Dr. Niesley is a previous member of the Board of Directors for the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians and is a member of the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians. She is the past-president of the Pennsylvania Association of Naturopathic Physicians. Dr. Niesley has published multiple research articles on integrative oncology and research topics, and has been a speaker and presented multiple abstracts at various national and international conferences.
Dr. Niesley is originally from the Portland
Education, Research & Experience:
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine at Bastyr University, Seattle, 2001
- Hospital-based residency at Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA), Chicago, 2001-2003
- Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, 2003-2004
- Masters in Evaluative Clinical Sciences, with an emphasis on Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Dartmouth College, 2005
- Co-Director of Integrative Medicine Research, Raby Institute for Integrative Medicine at Northwestern University, Chicago 2005-2007; 2009-2010
- Naturopathic Doctor: Avante Medical Center, Anchorage, 2008-2009
- Naturopathic Doctor, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Philadelphia, 2010-2012
- Director of Research at CTCA, Philadelphia, 2013-2016
- Naturopathic Doctor at Pacific Integrative Oncology, 2017-present
- Executive Director for Pediatric Health Outcomes Initiative, 2017-present
Selected Research Publications
- A model for coordinated delivery of individualized complementary and integrative medicine care for cancer survivors
Retrospective analysis of the influence of 25-hydroxyvitamin D on disease progression and survival in pancreatic cancer
The Safety of Acupuncture in Patients with Cancer Therapy-Related Thrombocytopenia
- Fighting CLABSI: An Interdisciplinary Approach for Best Practice Outcomes
Visit my other projects
Pacific Integrative Oncology
Pacific Integrative Oncology is a team of uniquely trained physicians with natural medicine infused throughout their formal medical education. Together they have over 30 years helping patients separate fact from fiction regarding how to best treat their cancer. They specialize in naturopathic cancer treatment, acupuncture, and fertility.
Chemo & Crayons
Chemo & Crayons is a resource and community for anyone who’s life has been touched by pediatric cancer or who wants to know how better to encourage some else who has.